Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving in Southern California

We had a heat wave in mid-November. The hot Santa Ana winds spread wildfires through several Southern California communities and many residential neighborhoods were devastated. Although I live near the coast, sufficiently far away from the fires, we could smell the smoke, and all of the cars, plants, and lawns were covered with a thin coating of ash. The weather was beautiful, but there was no walking outdoors for several days. Unfortunately, this scenario is becoming less and less uncommon in these parts.

Now the weather has changed. The air is cool and clean and perfect for walking, and rain is predicted for Thanksgiving. We need the rain desperately, but everyone is praying for those folks in the burn areas. Too much rain after a big fire often leads to landslides. Like everything else, the rain can be a mixed blessing.

As I did last year, I will spend this Wednesday helping deliver hot turkey dinners to needy and disabled seniors who are homebound during the holidays. Then I will enjoy Thanksgiving with my own family, knowing how much a really have to be thankful for: a secure home, my loved ones, my health, and a year free of disasters.

Wishing all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving and many blessings for the year ahead.

No comments: