Saturday, November 8, 2008

On the Arrival of Fall

Autumn is here and I’m loving it. Born in October, I seem to come to life in the fall, as the weather cools and the laziness of summer gradually picks up speed as it coasts toward the hectic holiday season.

I’ve been spending more time outdoors lately, opting for brisk walks in the park, at the beach, or around my neighborhood instead of machine-time at the gym. It’s still exercise, but the experience is quite different. Instead of becoming one with the machine and distracting myself with iPod music, I feel much more human, alive, and tuned in to my surroundings, whether it’s squirrel-watching and people-watching in the park, the sound of the pounding surf and the smell of salt are at the beach, or houses, cars, dogs and cats in the neighborhood.

For all the problems (and there are many) facing our nation, our economy, our planet, there are also many small pleasures around us every day to be thankful for.

No comments: