Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Endless Weekend

If you’re not sure what it would be like to retire, think about your typical weekend. If you spend every week-end doing a hobby, sport, or activity that you’re passionate about, that’s what you’ll probably end up doing more of when you retire. And if, like me, you attack the weekend with a long list of appointments and errands to run, things to get done around the house, as well as fun things you want to do, then go back to work with a heavy heart because the list didn’t get done, well, you probably won’t be bored when you retire but, like me, will wonder at the end of each day why you didn’t manage to get in your exercise and why the bathroom still isn’t cleaned. The only difference is, you won’t have to wait until next weekend to continue with the list. Every day is the weekend. There’s a certain feeling of peace in knowing that you really don’t have to finish it all in two days, that there’s always tomorrow. Eventually, you might even come to the realization that you really can take a whole day to work on your scrapbook or go to the beach or museum or zoo, or write in your journal or read a good book. Yes, it’s nice. But there’s also the danger of lethargy setting in from the lack of urgency. After about a week of it, I started to worry: Am I going to lose my edge and turn into a lazy slob? After having a job all of my adult life, it is a little hard to let go. The lack of structure is both wonderful and uncomfortable. I don’t miss the job I left as much as the idea of having a job.

Some people say that they would like to retire so they can travel more. I will no doubt do a little traveling now that I’m retired, but probably no more than I would have done if I were still working. If you want to travel, don’t wait until you retire. I say, do it now. When you’re working, you have the money for vacations and you have a whole bunch of people to show your vacation pictures to when you get back. Plus, you need to get away from the job and de-stress, don’t you? I don’t know how many sad stories I’ve heard about people who wanted to wait until retirement to take their dream vacations and then had some tragedy, an illness or the death of a spouse, strike soon after retirement. Whatever it is you dream of doing, don’t delay. Do it now, and retire with wonderful memories instead of regrets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your not really retired , you must make dinner for the rest of your life for your husband and comply to his every need. AAAAOOOOOOOOOOO

Anonymous said...

Barbara, your blogging thoughts are so similar to mine. Only I don't blog, I whine. I agree with you that we should live life as is and not wait until we retire to do our dream or traveling or whatever. You had a very good point. Your blog was a inspirational and all of your pieces are very well written. Kudos to you for going forth with this blog! AR in Huntington Beach

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb, I finally got around to your blog. I enjoyed reading "The Endless Weekeend." I can totally relate which is why I looked forward to my 9-80 day off...a much longer weekend for life balance. I will definitely share your blog with my husband...who has extra time on his hands since he too is retired (ec).