Saturday, May 19, 2007

Getting Younger

Now that I’ve retired, I plan to get younger. If you haven’t been to http://www.realage.com/ and taken their test, try it! By answering a series of questions about your lifestyle and family history, you can see whether you are younger or older than your chronological age, and then get a personalized report on how to become “younger.” My score was good: nine years less than my actual age. Still, I just didn’t have as much energy or feel as good as I once did. Now I have time to do something about it, and have done three simple things: sleep, eat well, and sweat more.

I never used to get enough sleep. When I tried to go to bed early, I couldn’t fall asleep, but later bed times meant too few hours before the alarm. It took me a couple of weeks to finally start sleeping well, and it does make a difference, both mentally and physically.

As far as diet, the biggest change has been cutting back on sweets and white carbs, as well as eating more fruits, vegetables and lean protein. Fewer restaurant meals and more time to cook at home is one reason, but less stress eating, no more temptation to indulge in mindless office snacking, and easier access to a greater variety of healthy choices also makes things easier.

Finally, I am exercising more. I always walked during my lunch break at work, which led many people to assume I was an exercise fanatic. But I was really doing little else to keep in shape. My first visit to the gym was a shocker: my stamina, strength, and flexibility were all worse than I thought they would be, and I am now systematically working on all three.

Of course, you don’t have to be retired to do all of these things! In addition to checking out the Real Age website, another good resource is their book, You – The Owner’s Manual, by Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz, full of good tips on how to get younger!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your opening line of your intention to get younger. I wish you best. Unfortunately, when I did the "Real Age" test before, I was older than my age. I know I have to work on that too just as your blog write-up indicated. The other unfortunate thing about consulting the Real Age website is that they inundate you with e-mail to the point that I felt strangled by them. I finally requested to be removed from their distribution list. I am familiar with the two doctors you mentioned at the end of your blog. I see them on Oprah and Good Morning America a lot. I could use more sleep too. Oh to feel the stress-free life of youth again and just play on the front lawn and do sommersaults and handstands.

Barb T said...

Yes, Real Age does, indeed, send you regular email messages on health issues once you use their test. I rather enjoy the articles, but if you don't want them, be sure to opt out.